About Global Learning Initiatives
Our Mission & Vision
Our mission is to assist academic units as they advance Global Learning for All students in alignment with their respective missions and values, and our collective commitment to move Fearlessly Forward. To achieve this mission:
- We help academic units develop Global Learning for All plans using various global learning modalities (virtual/in-person, local/abroad, curricular/co-curricular).
- We design and implement faculty and staff workshops and training opportunities on relevant topics and best practices in global learning.
- We co-create content, global partnerships, and assessment tools for innovative global learning opportunities, focusing on global learning at home.
Our Common Agenda for International Education addresses systemic injustice on a global scale. Global learning focused on justice will empower Maryland students as adults, professionals, and citizens who are dedicated to improving the global common good. To achieve our vision, the Maryland Common Agenda for International Education concentrates on these three Student Learning Outcomes:
- Global Awareness: Students will be able to define, identify, analyze, and articulate systems of global injustice and their interconnectedness to the United States as they relate to key areas, such as the environment, water, public health, education, food security, infrastructure, economic systems, cultural production, housing, and political representation.
- Global Perspective: Students will identify marginalized and maligned voices from around the world and integrate their perspectives in the analysis of global injustice.
- Global Engagement: Students will demonstrate meaningful skills through authentic, project-based global engagement that promotes global justice.