Skip to main content
Three students stand in front of a group of horses. Green rolling hills are seen in the background and the student in the center wears a red Maryland sweatshirt with Testudo on the chest.

Study Abroad FAQs

Choosing a Program & Applying

You are limited to one study abroad application per term. As long as you have done sufficient research on your study abroad options, you should be able to apply to one program that will meet your goals. If necessary, we can work with you to switch your application to be applied for a different program. For special circumstances, your Global Learning Advisor can assist you.

Any undergraduate student graduating in May can participate in a summer study abroad program offered the term after their graduation (either summer I or summer II) and any undergraduate student graduating in December can participate in a winter and/or spring break program offered the term after their graduation. In both of these cases, you would apply as a UMD applicant. Please note: semester-long programs are not eligible to recent graduates. You would apply as a non-UMD applicant if the study abroad program was not immediately following your graduation date (i.e. graduating in May 2020 and participating in a spring break 2021 program). If UMD seniors are taking a graduate level course, they must request permission from their department to take graduate level courses. If the department does not approve the request, students must apply to the Graduate School to receive graduate level credit. Please contact for other unique situations.

Yes. Tuition remission benefits can apply to Maryland Semester programs, Maryland Short-term programs, Exchanges and Affiliate Programs. Note that tuition remission benefits generally cover a per-credit rate and may not cover study abroad program fees in full. You should check with the benefits coordinator in the employee’s department or unit to confirm the value of tuition remission. Read more about tuition remission on the Financial Aid page.

Before Going Abroad

If you will need to “sublet” or re-lease your apartment while you are studying abroad, there are numerous housing posting boards and exchanges for you to utilize. EA does not manage any separate posting boards but we do direct incoming exchange students and returning study abroad students to the posting boards mentioned below. We recommend that you start this process as early as possible so that you maximize your opportunity to find someone to take your place.

Education Abroad is responsible for making arrangements for you well in advance of your departure for your study abroad program. Many of our partners are not able to make such arrangements until they have complete details for each program participant. Students who do not submit information on time delay EA's ability to work with partners and make arrangements to ensure a safe and productive study abroad program, which can often incur additional expenses.

Please review the Financial Policies page for more information.

While Abroad

UMD students are required to maintain full-time degree-seeking status while they are abroad for a full semester. To be considered full-time, you should take a minimum of the equivalent of 12 approved UMD credits per term. Some UMD scholarships require students to take and pass an equivalent of 15 approved UMD credits per term in order to maintain eligibility for scholarships.

Students who drop below full-time status may lose financial aid, scholarships, insurance or delay graduation. Please speak with your EA advisor for more details.

Returning from Abroad

Ensure that your program/host university will send an official transcript to Education using the instructions in your MyEA account. The timeline for your Study Abroad Credits to Post to your UMD record is as follows:

  1. You will receive an email from EA once we have received your study abroad transcript from your host institution/program provider. 
  2. EA will evaluate your study abroad transcript and send it to the Registrar within 5 business days.
  3. The Registrar will post credit to your UMD record within about 4-6 weeks. Please note that RC and TC may not post at the same time. 

Typically, transcripts can take 1-3 months after your program has ended for our office to receive your transcript, process, and appear on your UMD record.

Approved study abroad coursework is posted to your UMD record. If you received transfer credit for study abroad and require an official transcript from your host university, you will need to contact the institution directly. Please contact your regional EA advisor if you need additional instructions. If you participated in a program as a member of the military, or studied abroad before 1981, visit the University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC--formerly UMUC) transcripts page or the UMGC website.

Back to Top