Skip to main content

Replacement of Lost/Stolen Documents

It is important to immediately report any lost or stolen documents to the appropriate authorities. If you do not have photocopies of your missing documents, check with the ISSS as they may have some on file.

If you have not already filed a report with the police in the area where your documents were lost or stolen, contact the UMD Police online or call 301-405-3555 to file a report. The UMPD may be able to provide you with additional information and resources.

Contact or review web site information for your country’s embassy or consulate in the U.S. to find out how to obtain a new passport and to make notification of your missing passport to guard against fraudulent use.

  • The U.S. Department of State maintains contact information for foreign embassies in the U.S. Links to consular offices are usually available from the embassy homepages.
  • If you have lost all your photo identification, contact your country’s consulate/embassy to find out what alternate documents you may need. If you are an F-1 student on post-completion OPT, it may be a good idea to apply for a replacement EAD card.

If your visa is lost or stolen, you should contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that issued your F-1, J-1, or H-1B visa to make sure your visa is not used fraudulently by another person. Also inform them if you had any other valid visa, such as a B-1/B-2 visitor visa.  Contact information for U.S. Consulates and Embassies abroad can be found at

Complete USCIS form I-102.  Consult an ISSS advisor if you plan to travel outside the U.S. soon or are not sure if you need to apply for a new card.

Request a replacement from ISSS.

Complete an I-765 from the USCIS website at

  • Check box for Replacement of lost EAD
  • Send all required documents and fee
  • Indicate that you have applied for employment authorization, what service center, the date, and results of your application in question #11.

To replace a Social Security card:

If you suspect someone is using your number, you should take these steps to protect yourself and your financial health:

  • File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (877-438-4338)
  • File an online complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center at
  • Check your Social Security records (1-800-772-1213) to ensure your income is calculated correctly
  • Monitor your credit reports

Be sure to check your accounts for any documents stolen (such as credit cards, checks, ATM cards, etc.) and contact your banking institution if necessary to cancel or put a temporary hold on any accounts.  You may want to check your credit report to make sure no one has opened a credit card or other accounts under your name and charging purchases in your name. The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires three companies to provide you with one free credit report every 12 months.  See the following U.S. Federal Trade Commission's web page for more information. To obtain a free credit report, go to  It is especially important to check your credit if your Social Security Card or written Social Security Number was lost or stolen with your identification.

Back to Top