Skip to main content

Extension of Stay

If the completion date indicated on your I-20/DS-2019 form (see section 5 on I-20, section 3 on DS-2019) will pass before you can complete your research/studies, you must apply for a program extension before the program end date on the I-20/DS-2019 is reached. 

Extending your I-20/DS-2019

Please note:  You should submit your iTerp application to extend your I-20/DS-2019 no earlier than 90 days before the completion date but at least one week prior to the completion date of the I-20/DS-2019.

ISSS is only able to make extensions of 1 year due to SEVIS limitations.

Extension Requirements

You are eligible for an extension if the following apply:

  • You have continually maintained full-time student status.
  • The delay in completing your studies was "caused by compelling academic or medical reasons, such as changes of major or research topics, unexpected research problems, or documented illnesses.
  • Delays resulting from academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for an extension.
  • For J-1 students: You cannot receive an extension if you have received a waiver of 212(e).


  1. Prior to submitting your I-20/DS-2019 extension, please register for all required courses for the upcoming semester.  PhD students who receive automatic registration in 899 are exempt from this requirement to register in advance of applying for an extension. However, a PhD student who is requesting an extension to the end of the next optional term in order to graduate should register for 1 credit of 899. For summer, please register for 1 credit in the same summer term you plan to submit your final electronic dissertation.
  2. Log on to your iTerp account and click F-1 Student Services > Program Extension (J-1 students should instead click J-1 Student Services > Program Extension)
  3. Read the form's instructions and then complete the Academic Advisor form at the bottom of the page. This will email a request to your academic advisor to complete some information about your academic program and remaining degree requirements. Note: You will not be able to complete the remainder of your Program Extension request until your academic advisor submits their portion of the form.
  4. iTerp will notify you by e-mail once your academic advisor completes their form. You may then log back into your iTerp account and complete the Program Extension e-form. You will need to upload a scan or photo of the following documents:
    1. Proof of financial resources for the duration of the extension. 
    2. Your passport photo page.
    3. If the delay was due to medical reasons, you will need to upload a letter from your medical doctor.
  5. For J-1 students: Please submit the Proof of Insurance form on your iTerp account (this can be found at J-1 Student ServicesProof of Insurance).
  6. After you submit all the required iTerp forms, an International Student Advisor will review and verify your documentation. An I-20/DS-2019 with the new end date will be produced. We will notify you by e-mail within 3-5 business days if your extension request is approved. 

Extension of Stay

Your J-1 program will end on the date shown in item #3 of your Form DS-2019. If you need more time to accomplish your original program objective, it is your responsibility to request an extension. 

When to Extend

  • Apply for an extension of your DS-2019 through your academic department about 4 months before your current form expires.
  • If your J-2 spouse needs to extend employment authorization, we recommend that you apply 6 months before your current DS-2019 expires.
  • You have an additional 30 days after the J-1 program end date on the DS-2019 to leave the US. During these extra 30 days, you can prepare for your trip home or take a vacation within the US. You may not engaged in your program activities.


You are eligible to apply for an extension of stay if:

  • You are working toward the objective shown on your most recent Form DS-2019.
  • You are maintaining your J-1 status and you have proof of health insurance for you and your family.
  • You can demonstrate adequate funding for the period of the proposed extension.
  • You have a passport that is valid for at least six more months
  • You can not extend beyond the maximum period of stay for your J-1 category.

Maximum Stay:

  • Visiting Professors or Research Scholars may stay a maximum of 5 years.
  • Short-term scholars may stay a maximum of 6 months.


  1. Contact your academic department for information on extension procedures. Applications for extensions are processed electronically.
  2. When an approved electronic application reaches your J-1 Responsible Officer at International Student & Scholar Services, we will submit the request to the Department of State through the SEVIS system and a new form DS-2019 will be issued.
  3. Once you have received your new Form DS-2019 from your J-1 Responsible Officer, your permission to stay inside the United States has been extended. Please note your J-1 visa stamp has not. You should review our travel guidance if you plan to travel outside the United States.

Extensions are limited and are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. If an extension is deemed appropriate by ISSS, the request for the extension must be submitted at least three months in advance. A training program may be extended to a maximum duration of 12 months.

The following information is required to process an extension:

  • Contact ISSS to see if the visitor is eligible for an extension 

  • A signed Training/Internship Placement Plan (T/IPP, Form DS-7002), for the extension period

  • Proof of further finances for the extension period.

  • Proof of continuous medical insurance

Back to Top