Skip to main content

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment primarily means positions paid by the University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP). Employment with outside organizations which are physically located on campus may be considered on-campus employment only if they provide direct services to students (such as the bookstore or dining services). Employment with an outside contractor which does not provide services to students is considered off-campus employment. No clearance is needed from ISSS for on-campus employment; however, you will need to complete an I-9 form to show that you are eligible to work in the United States, and a W-4 form to indicate which taxes the University should withhold from you.

To determine whether an off-campus location is educationally affiliated with UMCP, USCIS looks to see whether the affiliation is associated with the University's established curriculum or related to contractually funded research projects at the post-graduate level. In this case, the employment must be directly related to the student's educational program. If you have questions about whether a position is considered on- or off-campus, please contact ISSS so that we may help determine this for you.

F-1 students are authorized to work on campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week during the semester and may work a maximum of 40 hours per week on campus during the summer and winter breaks.

Graduate Research and Teaching Assistants are considered to work the equivalent of 20 hours per week on-campus. They may not undertake additional on- or off-campus employment during the academic year. Assistantship holders may work an additional 20 hours per week during the vacation periods.

Back to Top