Skip to main content

F-1 and J-1 International Students

F-1 and J-1 students must maintain their immigration status while remaining in the U.S. Many of the benefits for which students apply, require an academic advisor or departmental recommendation. These recommendations help ISSS understand a student's academic progress and plans.

Each semester ISSS Pre-arrival provides resources and an international on-line orientation for all new international students. Please encourage your students to review the International student checklist for arrival steps.

Students on F-1 and J-1 visas have various on and off campus work options. Some work options require forms signed by the academic advisor or program coordinator. Our section on Work Options provides an overview of the various work options for students and needed forms.

Most international students will not have a Social security number. Students who receive employment offers are eligible to apply for a Social security number. Departments offering employment must issue an offer letter in accordance with Social security standards.  A sample template can be found in the manager’s tool kit.

F-1 and J-1 students must pursue a full course of study and make normal progress towards the completion of the program of study.

  • UNDERGRADUATE students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours each Fall and Spring semester.
  • GRADUATE students must be enrolled in at least 48 units each Fall and Spring semester. Graduate students on 12 week terms must continuously register without breaks for a minimum of 36 units per term. Students in the Business School Specialty Masters programs are required to take a minimum of two courses in each term in addition to meeting the 48 unit requirement for the overall semester.
    • 20-hour assistantships are equivalent to 24 units;
    • 10-hour assistantships are equivalent to 12 units
  • Courses taken for "audit" or "incomplete" do not generate credits/units and cannot be used in calculating full-time status
  • Only one online course/distance education can count towards full-time enrollment.

Often a student will need additional time, beyond what ISSS first indicated on the student's immigration documents (I-20 or DS-2019), to complete his/her degree objectives. As long as:

  • The Graduate School has not terminated the student's admission
  • The academic advisor supports the student's continued enrollment
  • The student provides proof of adequate funding

ISSS can grant an I20/DS2019 extension. This extension can be done without the student leaving the U.S. For F1 students, the process must be completed before the I-20/DS-2019 expires.

The student will have to fill out a Program Extension eform on iTerp, The Academic Advisor will receive an email from ISSS asking for support for the extension which will need to be signed by the academic advisor.

An F-1 and J-1 student must pursue a full course of study and make normal progress towards the completion of his/her program. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations state that international students may be authorized to drop below a full course of study for the following reason:

  • Illness or medical condition;
  • Initial difficulty with the English language (first semester only);
  • Initial difficulty with reading requirements (first semester only);
  • Unfamiliarity with American teaching methods (first semester only);
  • Improper course level placement;
  • Completing a course of study

To obtain authorization, the student must submit to ISSS a completed Part Time Authorization form via iTerp. The academic advisor will receive an email from ISSS asking for their input.  ISSS must receive the form before the add/drop deadline (two weeks into the semester).

ISSS is required to report to USCIS the plans of each student exiting the University. Students are required to fill out the Exit Form via iTerp. This form is used to convey to USCIS the student's plans after exiting the University. If an F1 student plans to pursue Optional Practical Training after graduation the academic advisor or graduate coordinator is required to respond to an ISSS email confirming details regarding the completion of a student's academic program. 

Visit our Visa Information page for information on visa denials and revocations.. 

Back to Top