Skip to main content

H-1B Faculty

International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) works closely with academic departments that seek to hire foreign nationals to teach or do research at UMD.  Employment of foreign nationals can be authorized through many different visa categories.

H-1B visa status allows foreign nationals to come to the U.S. temporarily to perform services in a specialty occupation[1] that requires a minimum of a bachelor's degree.  ISSS files H-1B petitions[2] with U.S. Customs and Immigration for academic positions that qualify as specialty occupations, such as lecturers, professors and researchers.  The following are important characteristics of the H-1B status:

  • The H-1B status is employer-specific.  The H-1B worker may receive salary and compensation only from UMD, not from any other employer in the U.S.
  • The H-1B status is job-specific.  Significant changes in the job duties, hours (full-time to part-time), job title, or a transfer to another department must be reported to ISSS because these may necessitate filing an amended petition.
  • The worker must receive a job offer from UMD.  The UMD position must require an academic degree and be a faculty position in an academic department
  • The maximum length of time that an individual can be in H-1B status is 6 years, which is granted by USCIS in increments of up to 3 years.
  • Part-time teaching positions require a minimum of 10 hours; research positions require a minimum of 20 hours. 
  • Only teaching positions may hold 9-month appointments in PHR.
  • The H-1B worker must hold a minimum of a baccalaureate degree or its equivalent in the specialty occupation.

[1] A specialty occupation is one that requires theoretical and practical application of highly specialized knowledge.
[2] An H-1B petition requests permission from U.S. Customs and Immigration for UMD to hire a worker under the regulations for an H-1B visa.

Back to Top