Skip to main content

Health Guidance and UMD Requirements

COVID-19 Vaccination

UMD recommends that you be vaccinated and have a booster against COVID-19.  Being fully vaccinated and boosted significantly reduces the risk of contracting and/or becoming seriously ill from the virus.  Your host country(ies) may require that you show proof of a negative COVID-19 test and/or a booster within specified days or hours of your entry and/or departure.  You must meet all entrance requirements in order to travel to that location.  

Take a moment to review the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s guidance for international travel.  It is very important to also follow the public health requirements of your country(ies).

You can also review UMD’s COVID-19 safety guidance here.

See Your Doctor

See your doctor before you depart. Discuss the implications of study abroad with your medical and/or mental health providers.  Even mild physical or mental health issues can become acute under the stresses of life in an unfamiliar environment. Be sure to make them aware of the location in which you’ll be studying abroad so that they can advise you appropriately with regard to maintaining your health and well-being. This is especially important if you are immuno-compromised or manage a chronic health condition such as diabetes or heart disease.

You can use the Study Abroad & My Health conversation guide resource in your MyEA account to facilitate these discussions.

Accessing Medications while Abroad  

If you require medication, please plan to bring a supply sufficient for your entire time abroad. You may not be able to have medication shipped to you overseas and obtaining exact prescription equivalents abroad can be extremely challenging. You should travel with your medications in your carry-on luggage, and all of your medication should be in original prescription bottles. If you are carrying a large quantity, we suggest you also carry a signed note from your physician, explaining that you need a full supply of the medication for your time overseas. Some medications, legal in the U.S., may be illegal in your host country. If you are concerned this may be the case, you should contact Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) to ask if your medication is available, or legal to possess.  The University Health Center's International Travel Clinic may also be able to assist you with this.  You can call them at 301-314-8115. If your medication is not legal in your destination, please work with your physician on an alternate treatment plan well in advance of your departure.


If you need accommodations, please contact the Accessibility and Disability Service (ADS) to acquire the documentation you will need to share with your host institution.  Your UMD Education Abroad Advisor can provide you with program and/or location specific information to include in your request to ADS, and they can also help with communicating your needs to your host institution.

Back to Top