Skip to main content

J-1 Visa

J-1 (Exchange Visitor) Visa

Students without U.S. citizenship or permanent residency must obtain a J-1 visa to study at UMD on exchange. The J-1 visa is used for educational and cultural exchange programs at the University of Maryland. You can learn more about applying for your visa on the International Student & Scholar Services website.


You will need a DS-2019 form issued by UMD to apply for your J-1 visa. You will request this DS-2019 form using the International Student and Scholar Services office (ISSS) online portal, iTerp. In iTerp, you will need to provide proof of financial support for your exchange (through a bank statement and/or scholarship letter). You will receive instructions once you have completed your exchange application.

Work Eligibility on the J-1 Visa

J-1 students are eligible for approved student employment for a total of 20 hours a week on-campus only.

J-1 students interested in practical training in their field of study (major) may apply for Academic Training.

Health Insurance

You are required to have health insurance while you are in the US per J-1 visa regulations. All incoming exchange students studying for a full academic year will automatically be enrolled in the UMD Student Health Insurance Policy (SHIP). Fall-only, spring-only, or calendar year (January - December) students will self-enroll in SHIP. The UMD SHIP insurance meets the J-1 visa minimums for insurance and is accepted at the Health Center on campus as well as by many providers in the US. Only students with qualifying coverage may apply to waive the insurance requirement.

Back to Top