Skip to main content

Child Care & School

Public Schools

F-2, J-2 and H-4 children dependents may study full-time in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Each community in the United States has its own public school system. Children usually begin their schooling at age 5 or 6, and typically finish at age 17 or 18. All public schools in the area offer some kind of English (ESOL - English to Speakers of Other Languages) instruction for enrolled children, and schools are generally free for dependents. If you plan to enroll your children in the public school system, you should bring the following:

  • An original and certified English translation of the child's previous transcripts. This can help place the child in a class.
  • Proof of your child's immunizations for measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria-pertussis-tetanus, and polio.

There will most likely be other requirements. It is advisable for parents to register their children in school before the academic year begins. This recommendation applies to children from kindergarten (approximately age 5) through secondary school. Late enrollment can be very disruptive for the child as well as the educational institution. For the start date of the academic year and other information, please contact the public school systems directly.

If you or your spouse is working and you need child care, a number of day care centers are available in the area.

Back to Top