Skip to main content

Applying for an H-1B Visa

International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) assists international faculty and scholars who will be conducting research or teaching at the University of Maryland, College Park with the process of applying for a visa.

Step 1. Receive an offer of employment to conduct research or teach at the University of Maryland

Step 2. Receive bottom portion of the original H-1B approval notice and travel packet

Step 3. Schedule a visa interview appointment

Note: You may enter the U.S. no more than 10 days before the start date on your H-1B approval notice

Take these items to your appointment.

  • A completed visa application form (available at the Embassy's website)
  • H-1B travel packet, including a copy of the I-797 Approval notice and original bottom portion of page 1 of the approval notice
  • Proof of payment of visa application fees
  • A passport valid for at least 6 months into the future
  • Appointment letter or job offer letter on university letterhead stating the following:
    • Your position title and salary
    • Department
    • Dates of employment
    • Brief job description
  • Marriage certificate and birth certificates for dependents (if traveling with you to the U.S.)

If all goes smoothly, you will receive an H-1B visa stamp in your passport. Check your visa for errors before you leave the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. After you have received your visa, you may proceed with making travel arrangements.

Upon entry into the U.S., a CBP Officer will create an electronic I-94 record of your arrival. The CBP Officer will provide an admission stamp directly in your passport which will be annotated with the date of admission, class of admission (H-1B) and admitted until date.

You can access your I-94 record via their website. ISSS recommends that you review your record to ensure it is correct.  

Back to Top