Skip to main content

English Language Programs

The Washington, D.C. metro area has many English language schools. Most paid programs offer intensive and part-time study. You can easily do a web search to find English schools in the area.

  • Maryland English Institute (MEI)
    • The University of Maryland has an English institute on-campus that offers full- and part-time English courses. The Intensive English Program is Monday through Friday and lasts 13 to 14 weeks. You can contact MEI for more information.
  • English Conversation Partners Program
    • We connect the University of Maryland community for authentic cultural exchange through English conversation. For ten weeks during the semester, participants meet with their fluent English speaking volunteer in one-on-one or group sessions. During conversation sessions participants practice their oral English through discussions on various topics and other activities planned by the volunteer. 
  • Montgomery County Public Schools Adult Education
    • The Montgomery County Public School system offers adult English classes around the county which are either free or require a small fee.
  • Prince George's County Community College Adult Education
    • Like Montgomery County, Prince George's Community College offers adult English classes which are either free or require a small fee.
  • EnGen
    • Free English language learning platform to anyone with UMD email., The mission is to provide English lessons online via individual activities for self study as well as attend virtual group lectures on an integrated video-call feature.
    • Pronunciation is a focus of EnGen (through both self study and group classes).
    • Teaches workplace and professional vocabulary, focused on the learners specific job and career needs.
    • The program is fully online and operates 24/7 (including our group classes which can be scheduled at nearly every time of the week)
    • Offers career coaching to our learners to help contextualize their English learning journey, and guide them through their program.
    • FREE to all employees, staff, faculty, students, and anyone associated with UMD

Please note: F-2 adult dependents are only allowed to study recreationally, and it is only authorized part-time. If you have any questions about this, please contact the International Student and Scholar Services at (301) 314-7740. J-2 and H-4 dependents are allowed to study full-time.

Back to Top