Skip to main content

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is defined as employment (1) located on the University premises or (2) at an off-campus location which is educationally affiliated with the school. J-1 students with a UMD DS-2019 may accept employment on the College Park campus after receiving approval from ISSS, provided that the student is enrolled in a full course of study. On-campus employment is limited to 20 hours per week during the semester and 40 hours during vacation breaks.

University Premises Employment
On-campus employment primarily refers to positions paid by UMD. Students with an assistantship, fellowship, scholarship or other employment on campus must receive written authorization from ISSS prior to beginning the work.  Employment with outside organizations which are physically located on this campus may be considered on-campus employment only if they provide direct services to students (such as the bookstore or dining services). Employment with an outside contractor which does not provide services to students is considered off-campus employment (such as a construction company building a new structure on campus).

Bring in the following documents to receive authorization:

  • Job offer letter
    • Specific start and end dates
    • Number of hours per week
    • Address of the workplace
    • Amount of compensation
    • Job description
    • The name of your supervisor
  • Log in to iTerp>J1-Student Services and submit the eform titled, Application for Student Employment Authorization
  • Exchange students must additionally provide written permission from the Exchange Coordinator before working on campus.

Educationally-affiliated Off-campus Locations
To determine whether an off-campus location is educationally affiliated with the institution, USCIS looks to see whether the affiliation is associated with the University's established curriculum or related to contractually funded research projects at the post-graduate level. In this case, the employment must be directly related to the student's educational program. Students interested in this employment will need clearance ISSS to establish and document the contractual relationship between the employer and the University. Contact ISSS for more information.

Back to Top